The Town Council will be holding a special meeting
on Mondays, April 15 and April 22 prior to the scheduled 6 p.m. Budget Meeting.
History of Lewisville
The Great Wagon Road
In the mid 1770s, settlers moving westward following the Great Wagon Road from Pennsylvania down into Virginia and then North Carolina frequently stopped over night on the banks of the Yadkin River before crossing the Shallow Ford. A town was born in the 19th century when Moravian settlers blazed a wagon trail across the pastures and established a community here.
Lewisville was named after one of those settlers, Lewis Laugenour, a benefactor who donated lands for development in the central area of town.
His home, constructed in the late 1850’s, still stands.
Another landmark in the community is the Roller Mill, built in 1910 and operated until 1984. While no longer an operating mill, the building still stands, now housing other businesses and serving as an anchor for downtown development.
Lewisville officially incorporated in 1991 and today is one of the fastest growing communities in Forsyth County with almost 13,000 residents. One of the motivations in moving toward incorporation was to preserve the small town ambience that existed in 1991.
Much attention and planning has gone into preserving the community’s pedestrian-friendly environment in the downtown, and community spirit is fostered through events and activities at the town’s Shallowford Square.
The town square was the vision of Lewisville’s interim manager in 1991, Kent Matthewson. It was Matthewson, an experienced and much respected city manager and planner with national and international experience, who envisioned a town square as a focal point for downtown and a way to set the tone for future development. The Town Council was able to obtain a $250,000 grant from the North Carolina Parks and Recreation Trust Fund to help build the square.
Today the town has a second park built on land donated by Mary Alice Warren in honor of her late husband, Jack. Jack Warren Park is a passive park on 16-acres near downtown.